Horizon 2020 (H2020) is the European Framework Programme for research and innovation, running subsequent to FP7 and covering the period 2014-2020.
There are a number of features in Horizon 2020 that should make it easier to apply for funding for research and innovation activities. In order to encourage research institutions, enterprises and public authorities to develop and submit quality proposals for individual calls, H2020 has broader calls for proposals compared to FP7.
The process for submitting proposals has been simplified with the establishment of one common, web-based Participant Portal, allowing everything to be done electronically. To submit the project proposal, you need to go to the section Electronic Proposal Submission on a specific Topic page that belongs to a call. You need to be logged in with your Participant Portal account to start filling in standard forms and submit your proposal to the Commission.
Please check the H2020 Online Manual that offers:
- an overview of all steps you need to know for the electronic management of proposals or grants;
- easy navigation by process steps;
- a brief descriptions on how to complete your tasks.
Turning your idea into an effective proposal:
- Follow strictly the instructions
- Read carefully the work programme topic, what is expected?
Check the list of countries and applicable rules for funding: described in part A of the General Annexes of the General Work Programme.
- Be clear and explicit
- Respect admissibility and eligibility criteria that are described in part B and C of the General Annexes of the General Work Programme Convince the evaluation experts regarding the selection and award criteria. Edit your proposal tightly, strengthen or eliminate weak points.
- Complete (requested administrative forms + proposal description + supporting documents specified in the call)
Respect the provisions, proposal page limits, layout for the type(s) of action(s) under this topic:
Topics: Galileo-1, Galileo-2, Galileo-3- Innovation Actions
Specific provisions and funding rates
Standard proposal template (administrative forms and structure of technical annex)
Please submit a Preliminary Business Plan as an annex to the Part B
It should be uploaded as a separate document based on a template that you will find in the section Additional Documents.
Standard evaluation form
Annotated Model Grant Agreement
- Check the additional provisions:
- You are strongly advised to inform your National Contact Point of your intention to submit a proposal: National Contact Points (NCP)
Horizon 2020 budget flexibility
Technology readiness levels (TRL) - where a topic description refers to TRL, these definitions apply.
Financial support to Third Parties - where a topic description foresees financial support to Third Parties, these provisions apply.
Final checks before submission:
- Do you have the agreement of all the members of the Consortium to submit this proposal on their behalf?
- Check once more the eligibility criteria mentioned in the Call documents! This includes any budget limits. Remember – the information given in part A is considered definitive.
- Is your proposal complete? Proposals must comprise a Part A, containing the administrative information including participant and project cost details on standard forms; and a Part B with all the annexes containing the scientific and technical description of your proposal.
- Is your Part B in portable document format (PDF)?
- Have you printed out your Part B, to check that it really is the file you intend to submit, and that it is complete, printable and readable? After the Call deadline it will not be possible to replace your Part B file.
- Double check that you respect the font size (11 point) and the page limitations for the different chapters!
- Have you virus-checked your computer? The electronic system will automatically block the submission of any file containing a virus.
- Have you allowed time to submit a first version of your proposal well in advance of the deadline (at least several days before), and then to continue to improve it with regular resubmissions?
- Have you completed the submission process for your latest version?
All questions may be addressed to the European GNSS Agency: