Background & Objectives
In Europe (EU27 + EFTA), a total of 14.5 million new passenger cars were registered in 2009 producing an average of 155g CO2/km. Recent legislation will require car manufacturers to decrease this number to an average of 95g CO2/km by the year 2020. While the fuel consumption and CO2 emissions of each car are obtained from a standardised test method based on EU legislation, real-world vehicle CO2 emission data are currently not available.
Why this project is important for EGNOS/GSA/SatNav?
OpenCarData (OCD) technology generates real-world, GNSS-enhanced carbon emission profiles from passenger vehicles to compare with European Union legislation for Car Energy Labelling.
- TUV certified solution
- CO2 management & driver tool to create transparency, change driving behaviour & reduce CO2 emissions
- Business & exploitation plan including dissemination to the public.
How does it work?
OCD leverages (Android) Smart Phone technology with the global OBD-II diagnostic standard, to create driver-unique, dynamic Emission Profiles, and helps to improve them. OCD aims to contribute to the reduction of fossil fuel consumption by offering an easy-to-use smart vehicle-metering solution.
Currently the emphasis is on finishing the ICT structure ahead of certification tests, as well as dissemination activities.
Work performed & results
- Winner of GNSS Living Lab Prize at European Satellite Navigation Competition 2010
- Reality check at GAIA Spain
- Presentation at ITS Vienna 2012
- Successful Mid Term Review.