The GALILEO Information Centre for Latin America is hosted by the "Regional Centre for Space Science and Technology Education for Latin America and the Caribbean - CRECTEALC" which uses the "Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais - INPE" facilities at Sao Jose dos Campos (Brazil).
The Centre is a focal point in the region and aims to:
- Disseminate information about EGNOS and GALILEO to increase awareness among main actors around GNSS in the region such as decision makers, investors, institutions, regulators, industries, service and data providers and final users;
- Establish links between key players and stakeholders from Latin America and Europe at different levels (e.g. research institutes, public institutions, private sector);
- Identify the social, economical and operational benefits that GALILEO will bring to the users of the region;
- Facilitate the introduction of GALILEO services and standards in Latin America through the development of current and emerging GNSS markets;
- Facilitate long-term uptake of European GNSS in the region, identifying new applications that could be developed in the region based on EGNOS/GALILEO and its services;
- Support the regional development of GALILEO (e.g. local elements, applications, regional components, etc) and the industrial cooperation between Latin America and European partners;
- Support the integration of GALILEO in the regional plan for GNSS;
- Facilitate the establishment of an interface between the regional service provider/s and the GALILEO Operating Company.
The GALILEO Information Centre is working towards the establishment of a network of associated centres in Latin America to involve entities in other countries like Argentina, Mexico and Chile.
The Centre will closely coordinate its activities with the GALILEO cooperation project for Latin America which will provide support to regional satellite navigation plans and to the development of GALILEO services and applications in the region.